Monday, March 22, 2010

THE DRESS THAT ALMOST WASN'T




Well, that's several hours of my life I will never get back!!

I thought I'd whip up a simple shift dress, and it turned out bigger than
Ben Hur!

Love the sketch on the pattern cover, and it could have been a simple pattern, but for the life of me, I couldn't work out how they did the neckline and facing! My Mum told me that I need to think like someone from 1966 (funny!)

I tried to do it how the instructions stated, but I just couldn't get the thing to work out. In the end, and several days later (and more than enough unpicked facings later...), I put the instructions back in its packet, and just made the whole thing up as I went along!
Its McCall's 8565 (circa: 1966) and I've made it up in a cool wool suiting in the teeniest of hounds tooth pattern. The fabric feels really nice to wear and this is the first time that I have made up a pattern that called for underlining.

Because I didn't want the pockets (no need to make my hips look any bigger), I made a self covered button for the front just to add a bit of interest (to match the buttons on the back belt).


It's not my favourite dress,
it will be OK for work though, and I'm sure it will grow on me over time.
Not sure if I'd ever make this up again.

6 comments:

  1. i LOVE this dress. what a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vintage patterns - that is such a stylish dress. The buttons are a great finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever...and it's a perfect dress to wear to work...so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, hello hello, where is the rest? Its been ages since you posted you must have made more than this? Nearly hols so lets organise a date quick.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what went south with the neck facing? Was it squirrelly instructions, or were the pieces shaped funny? The dress looks like it fits you well, and the fabric is quite classic.

    ReplyDelete