I thought I'd whip up a simple shift dress, and it turned out bigger than
Love the sketch on the pattern cover, and it could have been a simple pattern, but for the life of me, I couldn't work out how they did the neckline and facing! My Mum told me that I need to think like someone from 1966 (funny!)
I tried to do it how the instructions stated, but I just couldn't get the thing to work out. In the end, and several days later (and more than enough unpicked facings later...), I put the instructions back in its packet, and just made the whole thing up as I went along!
Its McCall's 8565 (circa: 1966) and I've made it up in a cool wool suiting in the teeniest of hounds tooth pattern. The fabric feels really nice to wear and this is the first time that I have made up a pattern that called for underlining.
Because I didn't want the pockets (no need to make my hips look any bigger), I made a self covered button for the front just to add a bit of interest (to match the buttons on the back belt).
It's not my favourite dress,
it will be OK for work though, and I'm sure it will grow on me over time.
Not sure if I'd ever make this up again.